The Greatest Flea & the Healthy Dog: 5 Preventive Measures to Get Rid of Fleas

Sunday, April 20, 2008
Introducing the first ever adventure of Fleer!


Do you know who I am? Fleer is the name and Just happen to be the greatest flea that walked the earth. Or jumped, if you want to be more technical. I am the strongest, the smartest, the highest leaper of my kind. I am so outstanding that I caught the eye of the Amazing Zorda, the great flea circus master. I stayed with his troupe for a couple of years, becoming a star in my first month. Kids and adults admired me while my fellow fleas, well, worshiped me.

All of that was just a few years ago. Let me tell you how I have fallen from grace. It all started with Jetty, a handsome dog and the healthiest I've ever laid my eyes on. I knew I was the greatest, so I confidently made a wager with my circus friends.

"You all I know I am the best there is, right? Fleer, the greatest flea of all. Now, do you guys see that dog? His owner calls him Jetty, but I call him my walking buffet. He's as healthy as a dog can get. He doesn't even scratch," I said.

"So what are you getting at, Fleer?" they asked.

I huffed and declared, "I will infest that dog like no flea had infested a dog before. I'll make him so itchy that he'll scratch and scratch and beg for me to get off. All I'm saying fellas is that big animal will bow down and concede to me, the great Fleer!"

And so they all agreed and bet with whatever valuables they had on them. It was agreed upon that I must accomplish my goal within just three days.

Off I went and leaped onto Jetty without his noticing me. I decided to encamp near his ears, just a bit above the neck. His fur was pristine and his skin was spotless. I must have been the first flea he ever got.

But no sooner had I landed on the dog did I realize my task was nowhere near easy. I smelled the hint of one of the worst odors a flea can smell. Garlic! It was not coming from Jetty's breath but from his skin.

"His owner is adding garlic to this canine's meals? Wise but it's not enough to stop me," I thought.

Garlic boosts a dog's immune system, helping him fight off sickness
and infections caused by parasites such as fleas, ticks and mites. It is
also a good anti-parasitic treatment, effectively warding off pests.


I held my breath and took a bite. I felt triumphant at the first taste of this dog's blood. Soon he will be scratching, biting and moving heaven and earth just to get rid of me. Fleer, the greatest flea of all, has done it again.

Or so I thought. There was a distinct taste from his skin that was familiarly unpleasant. It's Brewer's yeast! His master must have combed him with it. I tried to ignore the taste but it was too strong. I let go, caught my breath and waited till the taste of Brewer's Yeast was gone from my tongue.


Brewer's yeast contains B vitamins that are good for a dog's
metabolism. In powedered form it can be sprinkled on his food.
Brewer's yeast is a natural flea and tick repellent. It has thiamine
that also keeps mosquitoes away.


For the first time in my life the thought of failure came to my mind. This Jetty, this happy and lively dog, was surely the healthiest dog I've known. There was no doubt he was being fed a very good diet. His meals were fully nutritional.


A good homemade diet is rich in sulfur. Sulfur is an essential
component of all living cells. It plays an active role in the transfer
of oxygen between cells.


So I decided to give it one last try. I do not accept defeat that easily. I prepped myself then took another bite. But there's another taste that repelled me. It was sour and acidic. Vinegar! I let go again for the final time.


A few drops of vinegar on a bowl of drinking water will make a dog's
skin acidic, which fleas hate. Its distinct smell also wards off ticks,
mosquitoes and other pests. Vinegar maintains the shine on a dog's
coat .


"I can't do it. This dog is too healthy even for me. I've got to get off him or I will die."

At the first chance I got, I jumped off Jetty and landed on a grass of leaf. I was barely alive. I conceded defeat and lost my stature among my fellow fleas. Fleer, the greatest flea of all, was defeated by Jetty, the healthiest dog.


You can also supplement your dog with Omega-3 fatty acids. It will
help build his immune system and maintain the general well-being
of his heart, skin and fur. One good side effect is it will make him
less tasty for fleas.

No comments: